The present All Progressive Congress APC government of Imo state led by Senator Hope Uzodinma, has approached courts in the state to seek an order of interim forfeiture of some alleged public properties acquiesced or acquired by the former or state governor now Senator Chief Rochas Okorcha and his family.
The move may not be unconnected with the recent debacle from the sealing of the multi-billion naira Royal Palm Estate and hotel belonging to Okorocha said to have been built on large expanse of government green verge and forceful entry into the sealed property on Sunday February 22.
In a motion ex-parte filed at the High Court of Imo state in Owerri dated February 22 in a case between the Imo state government represented by the Attorney General and Commissioner for justice as the applicant with the following as respondents, Mrs Nkechi Rochas Okorochas, INCORPORATED TRUSTEES of Rochas Foundation and Senator Rochas Anayo Okorocha.
Among the properties listed by government for interim forfeiture include
1. Eastern Palm University Ogboko
2. Royal Spring Palm Hotel and Apartment, Akachi Road Owerri, Imo State of Nigeria
3. Imo Broadcasting Corporation staff quarters, Orji illegaly acquired for the purpose of Rochas Foundation College, Owerri.
4. Magistrates’ Quarters, Orlu Road/Corporative Office/Girls Guide illegally converted to private use including market square, Kilimanjaro etc.
5. Public building Plot B/2 Otamiri South extension Layout given to the Ministry of Women Affairs for establishing a skills acquisition center for women illegally acquired for the benefit of Nneoma Nkechi Okorocha along Aba Road.
6. Plot P5 Naze Residential Layout initially part of Primary School Management Board but now annexed to all install Aba Road belonging to Nneoma Nkechi Okorocha
7. All the properties contained on page 226 to 272 of the government White Paper annexed hereto as Exhibit C and pending the full implementation by the government of Imo state of the recommendation of the Honourable Justice Florence Duroha-Igwe judicial commission of inquiry into land administration in Imo state from June 2006- May 2019, as par the white paper which has been gazette, government wants the court to Take notice: that the grounds upon which the application is based are as follows:
Both facilities were built with public funds belonging to Imo state of Nigeria.
The Royal Spring Hotel and Apartment was built on water shed areas in violation of water shed at Akachi Road, Owerri, Imo state.
The Eastern Palm University belongs to Imo State government and that these public properties were converted to personal use by the 1st – 3rd respondents and their cronies for which the applicant now intends to recover them in line with the White Paper by the judicial commission of inquiry reports.